Learn how to get an antique tag in Florida for your vehicle and enjoy benefits like reduced registration fees and exemption from annual inspections. Find out more in our guide.
Antiques are highly prized and valuable items that can add charm and character to any home or collection. However, owning and displaying antiques requires special care and attention. In Florida, antique enthusiasts can get an antique tag for their vehicle, which allows them to display their antique vehicles in public places and participate in antique car shows. In this article, we will discuss how to get an antique tag in Florida.
What is an Antique Tag?
An antique tag is a special license plate issued by the state of Florida that is designed for vehicles that are more than 30 years old and used for exhibition or educational purposes. This tag is different from a regular license plate and is used to display the antique status of the vehicle. Antique tags are available for cars, trucks, motorcycles, and trailers.
How to Qualify for an Antique Tag?
To qualify for an antique tag in Florida, your vehicle must be at least 30 years old and meet the following criteria:
- The vehicle must be maintained to preserve its original historical authenticity, and its condition should not be altered from the manufacturerΓÇÖs specifications.
- The vehicle must not be used for daily transportation, commuting, or business purposes.
- The vehicle must be used for exhibitions, parades, and other public events or educational purposes.
- The vehicle must be insured under a collector vehicle insurance policy.
How to Apply for an Antique Tag?
To apply for an antique tag in Florida, you will need to follow these steps:
- Gather your documents: You will need to provide a valid driverΓÇÖs license, proof of ownership, and proof of insurance for your antique vehicle.
- Fill out the application: You can download the application form from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) website or visit a local DHSMV office to obtain a copy.
- Pay the fees: The fee for an antique tag is $7.50, and there is an additional fee for personalized tags.
- Submit your application: You can submit your completed application and fees in person at a local DHSMV office or mail it to the DHSMV.
- Wait for approval: Once your application is processed and approved, you will receive your antique tag in the mail.
Benefits of an Antique Tag
Owning an antique vehicle and displaying an antique tag in Florida comes with many benefits, including:
- The ability to display your vehicle in public places and participate in antique car shows.
- Exemption from annual vehicle inspections.
- Reduced registration fees.
- A permanent registration for the vehicle.
- A special designation that distinguishes your vehicle as an antique.
Getting an antique tag in Florida is a straightforward process that requires documentation and proof that your vehicle meets the stateΓÇÖs criteria for an antique. The antique tag provides many benefits, including the ability to participate in antique car shows and a permanent registration for your vehicle. If youΓÇÖre an antique enthusiast in Florida, consider getting an antique tag for your vehicle to show off your prized possession and take advantage of the many benefits that come with it.